One of the best sources for checking on the reputation and quality of a contractor’s work is his previous customers.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Were they able to communicate well with the remodeler?
- Were they pleased with the quality of work? (This is a tough question, since everyone defines “quality” differently.)
- Were they satisfied with the remodeler’s business practices?
- Did the crew show up on time?
- Were they comfortable with the trades people the remodeler subcontracted to?
- Was the job completed on schedule?
- Did the remodeler fulfill his or her contract?
- Did the remodeler stay in touch throughout the project?
- Were the final details finished in a timely manner?
- Would you use the remodeler again without hesitation?
If you are not satisfied with the answers, you need to keep looking.